[News] Linda Chung - Canadian Girl and HK Girl

0 comments
Recently, Linda Chung went back to her hometown in Canada to reunite with her true Daddy Good Deeds -- father, mother, sister and brother. This time going back to Canada, Linda has set out on an important mission: "I want to find my Canadian scent again!"

Recall back when Linda first entered the industry, she spoke in a pure, innocent and simple manner. However, after several years [of being in HK], she can speak clearly without an accent, but that pureness vanished. As she claims: "I feel I speak in a rougher way and act more like a HK Girl!"

OMG! That serious? Fortunately, she realized it early and can still recharge back in Canada. She should be able to get back on track and turn things around.

5% a Hong Kong Girl

"I believe I've become a HK Girl", this comment came right out of Linda Chung's mouth. Indeed, that is surprising. Back then, all the Miss Chinese International are good looking and educated, but after several years, Michelle Yip and Bernice Liu are no longer like how they were in the past. The newer generation Leanne Li and Christine Kuo are still minor. To bear the big flag of these qualities, only Linda Chung is left. Today, even she claimed she has become a 'HK Girl'.

"In the past, I was extremely polite, and spoke softly. I would never say 'gor tiu yau' here 'gor tiu yau' there ('gor tiu yau' = that person). Nowadays when I do something wrong, I would say 'deng'. Some of my younger fans would shout: "Ah! Linda jeh jeh, you just said a bad word!" I thought to myself 'deng' is considered a bad word? Fans told me, when others say it, not considered a bad word, but when it comes out of Linda Chung's mouth, then yes it is definitely vulgar.

Why do I think I become more of a HK Girl, what does HK Girl mean? I know, those who have princess illness. They speak loudly and are rough, they have a self-centered personality. They would add leggings with their skirts for no apparent reason...Honestly, I just speak in a rougher way. I don't think I have princess illness, but some fans say I'm starting to have some traces of a HK Girl, about 5%!

I'm worried! It's not because HK Girl isn't good, but the area I attract audience is I have that 'scent' of being a girl who grew up overseas. I really want to keep this 'scent'. I want to be the simple, innocent and happy Linda Chung again. Of course, I know that is difficult, but I will try my best.

No matter what, my values deep down inside will not change. Coming back to develop in HK, I promised my parents before, that I must not become a materialistic girl. I cannot be selfish, otherwise they will do whatever they have to, to take me back to Canada. Watching others drive nice cars or carry brand name handbags, I would have a moment of envy too, but at most it would last for 10 seconds. I don't see what's so amazing if you carry a brand name handbag. Relax everyone, I'm just 5% HK Girl, shouldn't be too hard to turn around.

The Ox in New Territories

When Linda first debuted, her Cantonese did indeed need some improvement, but she can now speak the HK slang. Despite that, she is still far from being a HK Girl. Born in Vancouver, Linda grew up in a well-off family, and studied teaching at the University of British Columbia (UBC) for two years. Before age 19, her only extracurricular activity was just to accompany her mother every week for grocery shopping in Chinatown.

"After I became MCI, I gave myself 3 years and if I couldn't make any accomplishments, then I would 'pit' (like "peace" or "later"). At the time, I really was foolish, thinking that within 3 years I could become as famous as Charmaine Sheh or Myolie Wu, and my acting could be as good as King Sir (Chung King Fai). In this circle, it turns out you need at least 10 years before you start moving, and be qualified to even talk about acting skills. Over 10 years is considered stabled. I entered the industry when I was 19, and when I was 22, I actually thought about it. Should I stay or 'pit' (leave)? I finally decided to stay because I saw that there is hope in my future. Everyone thought I was well-behaved, but it was because I was timid and afraid of things. Basically, I didn't speak much, very afraid to talk to people. I relied on my parents, brother and sister on my everyday basic needs, I basically couldn't live on my own. Coming to HK, I lived alone and was homesick. Every time I thought of my parents, I would cry...when I first entered TVB, I did everything there is because I didn't have sense of security. I just had series after series, it felt like I had a lot of 'productions', and that made me feel a little better. When I was 22, I decided to stay in the industry because after 3 years of experience, I was able to take care of myself and I knew how to communicate with people. Finally, I became an useful person. When Heart of Greed came along, a lot of people liked 'Seung Joi Sum', and this role was also my source of encouragement. I saw my future slowly paving. If I go back to Canada, I could only be an elementary school teacher, definitely won't have much diversity.

Recently I have 'Miss Koo' from Yes Sir, Sorry Sir and 'Kwan Ka Lok' from L'Escargot. These are two rare opportunities, especially Miss Koo. Even before the 'extreme crying', audience already loved it. Netizens were giving me 'spam' on the comment sections. I don't dare to say that my acting is already really good, but at least I can say there is improvement. Perhaps my personality is like the Ox of the New Territories. I would just silently do things, the more I do, naturally things could easily be figured out. Currently, when I shoot tragic scenes, I don't need to think of my parents anymore, just have to 'push the button' and the tears just naturally flow.

Tears seem to have become Linda Chung's signature. Does everyone really not dislike it? Just as long as it doesn't become a dislike to people, then I am OK. What I fear most is when people think I'm pretending to be pitiful and want sympathy. There is no secret to crying, I don't care how crooked my mouth gets or how weird my eyes look, how will a person still look pretty when they are unhappy? I would just get into character as much as possible. Fortunately, my crying look isn't considered too ugly.

In fact, I have been pretty awake all along. A series becoming a popular hit doesn't mean that you are cool or amazing, it's best to be realistic and slowly develop, that is the long-term. There will never be a day of stability in the entertainment circle, but so far I am pretty satisfied with what I have. What I am most happy about is that I am having more and more self-confidence, no longer am I frightened over small or big things."

Linda didn't have much rumors. It was once rumored Raymond Lam was pursuing her, but after the Mavis Pan incident, we all know Prince Lam isn't Linda's cup of tea. In the television scene, the name Philip Ng also ties in with Linda's name. Earlier a photo of them in karaoke together was published on magazines, and it was rumored the two have been secretly together for several years. Linda is pure, but not stupid. There are certain things that she won't say, so she just won't say it.

"Many people say Kwan Ka Lok from L'Escargot is the 'World's Cheapest Girl', but I don't quite agree. She is wrong, wrong because she has no opinions of her own. In one instant she wants to, in the other she doesn't want to. However, don't have to be that extreme and call her the World's Cheapest Girl. When a girl encounters a wealthy and loving man, it is nothing strange for her to be interested. For me, I would have more opinion than Kwan Ka Lok, I would not touch a married man. A woman's reputation is very important.

Relationships, I have always kept it low. Although I work in the entertainment circle, it is just a job after all. I hope to retain my own personal privacy that belongs to me. On relationships, it is enough to just share with family and that person. If I have to explain to the world, then that is too pressuring.

I am good friends with Philip, and that time (at the karaoke) it was his birthday. Taking photos together is normal. You all shouldn't add oil, salt or salt water to it. Yes, please don't add salt and vinegar. I don't have many friends in the industry, just Leanne Li, Tavia Yeung and Philip are good friends that I can talk to. Currently I also have Steven Ma and Daddy Ha Yu too!

Becoming Popular

I will definitely get marry and have kids. My idol is Kelly Chen, I really envy her as a person, she is pretty, has a career and family. She has never had negative news, and her image is very healthy."

Back then when Linda was running for Miss Chinese International, Kelly Chen was one of the judges and once praised: "I really like Linda Chung, she has a very sweet smile." It was then she became a hot candidate. Bobby Au-Yeung was another candidate that gave her a perfect score, Linda said: "Bobby said he hasn't seen a dance that is so cute and healthy in a long time."

"When I was in MCI, nobody noticed me. I didn't have even one news, that just proves I'm not pretty! I thought I lost everything, my confidence went down to zero. Kelly just made that one comment and I suddenly became a popular candidate. My confidence came right back. Perhaps she already forgotten me, but that one comment from her, it will always be in my heart. I hope I can be like her in the future."

Source: Sudden Weekly#872, TVBChannel
Translated by: aZnangel @ AsianEU Forum

0 comments: